Re: Fasteners

To: Lancer7676@aol.com
Subject: Re: Fasteners
From: Bkitterer <Bkitterer@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 01:28:06 EST
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
David,

A few more comments for what they are worth.  One of the things that we found
in doing our car was that for the price of about 10 Stainless Steel bolts from
our local hardware store we could get 50 or 100 bolts from an industrial
supply house.   You have to buy bolts/screws by the box or lot from the
industrial supplier.  A box or lot is usually 100 parts up to 5/16.  After
that they are 25 or maybe 10 parts to a lot.  These folks sometimes do not
care to work with individuals but if you can put a reasonable size order
together they may be more willing to help you.  If you are replacing all of
your fasteners and can put out $500 to $1000 at one time then you not only get
enough bolts for your car but an additional supply for your garage for about
the same money.  We did a frame-up on our bugeye 18 months ago and as we
disassembled each item we put the bolts/screws into old plastic butter dishes
and labled each dish.  Then we made up a list of parts and sent out request
for quotes from various local industrial suppliers.  Surprisingly this list
has about 120 individual items. However it did include everything from
upholstery screws to motor mount bolts and does not identify where the parts
are used.  After the parts came in we went butter dish by butter dish
replacing old screws with new screws.

Good Luck with your car.

------Bob and Ann
           '60 Bugeye,  original owners