Re: Wheel bearing problem

To: "Stasyszen, Jerry" <JStasyszen@odmhsas.org>,
Subject: Re: Wheel bearing problem
From: ERIC TAYLOR <eric2000@rogers.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 21:31:52 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Jerry,
  You may be interested in my recent experience with rear bearing replacement
on my 73 Spit. Not knowing what the PO had done I thought it a good idea to
replace rear bearings and all U-joints. I am aware of the potential to damage
the hub if you don't use a suitable extractor, so I made up a half inch steel
plate (2.5" ID, 5.5" OD). I drilled 4 half inch holes for the wheel studs and
bolted the plate to the hub. I then used a LARGE 3 legged puller to try to pull
off the hub. (Yes I backed of the big hub nut) - nothing moved even with a 3 ft
breaker bar. Actually that's not true I broke the puller. My next attempt was
with a hydraulic press (with my plate still bolted on, to support the hub).
When the press reached 12 tons we gave up!. The U-joints were easy and I'm
hoping my bearings are OK because the half shafts are going back on the car. If
the bearings go then I guess I have to buy complete new half shafts. I hope you
have better luck.
  Cheers,
  Eric

"Stasyszen, Jerry" <JStasyszen@odmhsas.org> wrote:
  I have a new little dilemma here, I an replacing the rear wheel
bearings on the rear end. Is this very difficult? I have replaced front
and rear wheel bearings on US cars but not on a Spitfire, I will also be
replacing the U-Joints at the same time.

===     http://www.vtr.org