SU carbsInstalling 1969

To: "spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: SU carbsInstalling 1969
From: "Jeffery Maurer" <jlmaurer@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 09:36:24 -0400
 I am installing a set of HS2 carbs, AUD's 285's from a 1969 Spit to a 1972
stock engine Spit.Carbs are rebuilt. Engine including valvetrain is in tune.
Engine ran fine with original Stromberg. No vacume leaks observed. Carbs are
in sync. Choke disconnected. Proper damper oil installed.
   Problem;   When adjusting mixture screws on bottom they seem quite a ways
out. I can only seem to get the front carb to come to proper mixture
determined by raising the piston 1/16 inch with a thin straight pick. The rear
is determined to be lean. Major problem is that it idles nicely but at 2000
RPM's. Cannot get it any lower even with the sync screws backed completely
out. Jets are not hanging up and are central in orifice. Pistons raise and
drop properly also.
     Can any listers offer advice?

===     http://www.vtr.org