Re: Weber carb question.

To: "David Mayer" <celiracer81@hotmail.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Weber carb question.
From: "Nolan" <foxtrapper@ispwest.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 17:51:21 -0500
The downdraft is a street carburetor, stock on many millions of 4 cylinder
cars made throughout the late 20th century.  It is a very streetable
carburetor.  Both the carburetor and the manifold it sets on in a Spitfire
limit its peak performance.

The sidedraft is a competition carburetor.  It has no choke, though some
have really crude cold start enriching system.  It is not particularly nice
on the street, though if well set up (rarely done), it's drivable.  The peak
performance of the sidedraft is second to none.

The downdraft carburetor can have bonnet clearance problems.  One of the two
manifolds isn't as low slung as the other, and with the typical rectangular
air filter, it bangs the bonnet nicely.