rear spring

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: rear spring
From: "Larry Vaughan" <lvaughan@pldi.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:12:39 -0600
I've been goofing around with my rear spring way too long, since I may be
ejected from my work space in June. I need some questions answered, about the
swing spring.

1. When the swing spring is de-arched are all the leafs done or just the lower
leaf?

2. Do the top four leafs need to be somewhat loose in the diff mounted box, or
is tighter better? I found that the bush for the center bolt will fit very
nicely in a steel bush for the rear trunnion, shortened a bit to fit the
spring box. This pushes the spring leafs up against the box rubber and makes
for a very tight fit.

3. How relevant is the space between the lower spring leaf and the boxed upper
leafs? The increase in bushing size for the center pivot bolt increases the
space. Adding another plate between the lower leaf and the boxed leafs
increases the space another 1/4". This should lower the rear, or am I wrong
about this whole line of thinking?

I stacked up some loose springs with new rubber spacers and it looks like it
would be a very tight fit with the regular bush on the center pivot bolt.

Larry