Re: We've returned from London-

To: "Barry Schwartz" <bschwart@pacbell.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: We've returned from London-
From: "Steve Carter" <public@sweavo.34sp.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:07:19 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Barry Schwartz" <bschwart@pacbell.net>
To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Cc: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2004 1:04 AM
Subject: We've returned from London-

> Only had one bad meal, which was a hamburger and chips, which is not as
> they are here, but simply a very salty, lumpy burger patty without a bun.

Ah, you've experienced the great British "greasy spoon" cafe.  Normally a
hamburger without a bun is called a "beefburger" ... were baked beans on the
menu and did the whole place stink of grease?  Oddly enough, greasy chips
were the one thing I missed while staying in Calif.

> The chips were soggy, but I must add that most of the time the chips were
> very good.  I have to say, and maybe its because I live in southern
> California, but they smoke a LOT over there.  It seemed that everybody but
> us were puffing away.  In several pubs ...

Yes. Most right-thinking Britons shun smoking, but we don't go so far as to
ban it in PUBs!  (though there is talk now of that happening)...  There are
however many non-smoking pubs and nearly all will have a non-smoking room.