RE: Con-fused?

To: "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Con-fused?
From: public@sweavo.34sp.com
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 10:37:17 +0100
Quoting "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>:

> 35A is the correct fuse rating.
>
> However, there is some confusion, arising from different designations for
> fuses between UK and US.  On definition is that it will blow at 35A, but is
> designed for a lower continuous current - about half of 35A I think.  The
> other designation is that it will carry 35A continuous current.  The problem
> is, I can't remember which country uses which designation - but you should
> be using UK designations for a Spitfire fuse.

Yes, I remember a great site.  This isn't it
http://www.jag-lovers.org/xk-lovers/library/fuses.html but it backs up what I
thought I read there:  The UK will write, say "18A Continuous, 35A Blow" or
just "35A" whereas for the same fuse, the Americans will write "18A".  So if
you read a UK manual and fit a US fuse without doing a conversion, you risk
melting some wiring.  I also believe the 'continuous' rating to be about half
the 'blow' rating, but would advise googling for more information or purchasing
the fuse by its blow rating.