Re: Sagging Spit?

To: rgreene@whoi.edu, spitfires@autox.team.net, nass@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Sagging Spit?
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 17:52:07 EDT
In a message dated 5/14/03 2:49:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, rgreene@whoi.edu
writes:

> Hi All:
>     I am just about done with the resto on my wife's 73 Spitfire. I just
> noticed that the drivers side sits lower than the passenger side? I took
> a quick look, can't see any obvious breaks in the rear spring. I do have
> another good spring. The trunion has a very little play, not enough to
> make is sit lower. The drivers side rear tire also has much more camber
> than the passenger side?
>     What kind of job is it to swap out the spring? Am I on the right track?
>     Thanks
>     Bob Greene
> Cape Cod British Car Club @
> www.capecodbritishcarclub.org

Bob,
Very common for Spitfires to be afflicted with this leaning condition.
Usually due to a weak rear spring from only one person driving all the time.
However, I have found that the front spring plays a roll here too and a just
a new rear will not always correct it.  For some reason GT6's have a spacer
installed on the top of the Driver's side front spring.  I suspect that it is
there to help keep them straight.  Anyone know why just GT6's have the
spacer?
Cheers,
Darrell
70 Spitfire MK 3