Re: Sagging Spit?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sagging Spit?
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 23:38:14 +0100
On Wed, 14 May 2003, at around 14:50:51 local time, Bob Greene
<rgreene@whoi.edu> wrote:
>Hi All:
>    I am just about done with the resto on my wife's 73 Spitfire. I just
>noticed that the drivers side sits lower than the passenger side?

>Am I on the right track?

God knows.   Leaning Spit Syndrome is an affliction with multiple
possible causes: duff rear spring, bent chassis, duff front springs,
bent anti-roll bar, or even (as I found after having removed, renewed or
replaced just about everything else) uneven-thickness spacers under the
bolt heads of the bolts which connect the body to the chassis.   Can
also be a combination of two or more of the foregoing, plus, no doubt,
other factors including the phase of the moon when Slade last had a
number one hit single, and your favourite flavour of ice-cream.

This is a bloody awful problem to diagnose.   The advice I received in
the past suggested that a bent anti-roll bar was the most likely cause
after a broken rear spring.   Remove the bar, lay it on a flat surface,
and check that it is square and true - if not, replace with a good 'un.

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671