Re: Glue or weld?

To: "ptegler@cablespeed" <ptegler@cablespeed.com>,
Subject: Re: Glue or weld?
From: "Livia Haasper" <wilivhaasper@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 08:52:56 -0400
Hi guys,
we've just finished the body work, and a complete paint job under the great
blue sky....LOL......... on our "Triumph support vehicle",  a GMC van. We
glued some repair patches onto the quarter panel. Metal bonding works fine
on all automobiles; they use it on BMW's here often. There are many
different product of metal "glues"  available. However, as in any
OVERLAPPING panels, may it be MIG welding or metal bonding, the chance of
rust developing  in this area is far greater than if the metal is butt
welded on. That's why, in any serious restoration, we use a gas welder.
Sealers help but are not the total answer to rust prevention.
Just my two cents. I'm sure my boss agrees with this opinion......
Liv