Re: Alternator Upgrades, Other Than Delco

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Alternator Upgrades, Other Than Delco
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 14:34:31 -0400
I have no special knowledge of the Japanese car/truck alternators.  They
are almost all made by Nipondenso, are internally regulated, and are
basically generic, like the Delco 10Si alternator is.  Slight
differences in pulley's and such for various vehicle applications.  So
really, any of them should do the job.

The link Mike provided,
http://www.davisengineering.net/spitaltupgrade.html is very useful
for wiring it all up imo.  As well, for observing how small the
alternator is and how much more "right" it looks then a Delco unit does.
 The wiring is the same as doing a Delco alternator.  As in the leads
out of the back of both types of alternators are the same.

I can't claim to have come up with this thought all on my own.  It was
a recent article in my ancient tractor magazine that made it clear to
me.  Fella installed the alternator from his Toyota truck in his old
Ford tractor, and it fit will, and looked good.

>>> "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com> 04/18/03 11:34AM >>>
Interesting comment, in that I chose to stick with a stock generator
for my Mk3, for among other reasons, the aesthetics, which I know is a
silly reason, but the massive Delco generators almost dwarf the engine
and I don't care for the way they dominate the engine compartment.  Do
you have any specific Japanese brands or model numbers?  I've decided
that when my rebuilt generator and NOS control box goes (and it might be
years from now), that I'll fit an alternator.  But for now, I have no
problems with pulsing lights or any of that other stuff that I always
see people referencing in their decision to go with alternators.