Re: Exhaust questions: paste, wrap, needles

To: William Davies <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Exhaust questions: paste, wrap, needles
From: Joe Curry <Spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 15:35:11 -0700
William Davies wrote:

> [...]

Bill,
I would expect that it would exacerbate the cracking problem.  This is
because the additional heat that is kept in the header pipe makes the
metal properties change.  In mild steel headers, they tend to
crystallize and that may be the same sort of thing that happens with
stainless steel.  The process makes the metal more brittle and therefore
more prone to such cracking.

Cheers,
Joe