Re: Strange Spitfire Fuel Delivery Problem

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, arodnitzky@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Strange Spitfire Fuel Delivery Problem
From: simon.halliwell@royalmail.com
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 08:57:51 +0000
Adam,

I had a similar problem after I completed the rebuild of my 1967 Mk3.  I too
had a
fuel filter near the tank and before the fuel pump - both were clear but the
engine
was starved of fuel.  The problem turned out to be very fine rust particles in
the
tank (it hadn't been used for 10years) were blocking the fuel pipe before it
reached the first filter.  I tried draining the tank about 3 times before I
resorted to draining, removing, leaving to completely dry out and pouring about
2ltr of small pebbles into the tank and giving it a real good shake.  This
loosened
up a ton of rust that poured out with the pebbles.  I then used a vacuum cleaner
with a long flex hose to clean out the remainder and refitted the tank.  I've
had
no problems since.

Simon.

This  email  and  any  attachments  are confidential and intended for the
addressee
only.   If  you are not the named recipient, you must not use, disclose,
reproduce,
copy  or  distribute the contents of this communication.  If you have received
this
in error, please contact the sender and then delete this email from your system.