Re: Strange Spitfire Fuel Delivery Problem

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <arodnitzky@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Strange Spitfire Fuel Delivery Problem
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 06:24:30 -0500
Normally, when enjoying vapor lock from boiling gasoline in the lines or
pump there is the strong smell of gasoline (boiling gasoline pumps out
the fumes).  If you're not getting that, and not seeing any bubbles
traveling through the inline glass filter, then I rather doubt you've
got a vapor lock problem going.

You mention rebuilding the carburetor and replacing the fuel pump.
Many aftermarket fuel pumps are of extremely poor quality.  As well,
many carburetor rebuild kits are of poor quality.  I'd be suspicious of
a float needle sticking in the seat (neoprene tipped ones are very prone
to this).  I'd also be suspicious of the fuel pump flappers sticking.

I'd be inclined to pop the fuel line off immediately, crank the engine,
and observe flow.

Joe Currys recommendation to pop the cap is also worthwhile.

>>> Adam Rodnitzky <arodnitzky@yahoo.com> 02/03/03 06:49PM >>>
Hi all,

My '70 Mk3 (single ZS carb) has a strange,
intermittent problem that is baffling (and frustrating
and stranding) me.

At random intervals, the car will seemingly lose all
fuel delivery to the carb. I'll be driving along, and
suddenly the engine will die. If I have momentum, I
keep the ignition on and the gas pedal floored while
rolling along in gear and after 5-10 seconds the car
will sputter a bit, then catch, sputter, then catch
and spring back to life and be fine for another 10,
50, 100 or more miles.

If I don't have momentum, the car grinds to a halt,
and I either call the tow truck, or do the following:
I spray starter fluid into the carb, which gets the
engine to catch, suggesting it is not an ignition
fault. Usually, after a minute or so of the
spray/start/catch/die cycle, it'll start and run well
for another 10/50/100 miles. I also have a clear glass
fuel filter that goes on the line from the fuel pump
to the carb (supplemented by a fuel filter directly
out of the gas tank) and it shows the usual amount of
fuel in the lines when the problem occurs. It does
seem like it happens more often when there is less
than 3/4 tank of gas (but that is conjecture).

I rebuilt the carb a year and a half ago (along with
the ignition system and a new fuel pump), replaced the
fuel filters and adjusted the valves. I do know that
the mixture is out of whack.