RE: engine rebuilding

To: "Mike Welch" <mikew@turbopower.com>, <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: engine rebuilding
From: "Pete Ryner" <pryner@interfold.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 19:05:01 -0700
Mike,
The cam bearings have to be installed with a special tool to keep them
square with the block.  Amounts to a driver just large enough to fit inside
the bearing with a shoulder wider than the bearing.  A long driver with a
self centering piece on the shaft fits the front of the block in the #1 cam
bearing hole to keep the driver square and drive the bearing is correctly.
The bearings are installed from the back to the front so the installed one
is not damaged by the tool.  Pretty simple procedure with the correct tool,
but nearly impossible to install without.  Not much room in the block to
line things up and drive the bearings in correctly.  One thing to check -
once installed, the oil hole in the bearing must line up with the oil
journal in the block.  I had some installed some years ago and they didn't.
Would have cause major damage if I hadn't caught it.  My '66 didn't require
line boreing after installing, but some bearings are made oversized and must
be line bored after installation to fit the cam.  Don't believe the Spitfire
ever required it but you should check.  If required, definitely a machine
shop job.
Pete

 The machine shop removed the old ones so I'll have to put new
ones in.  Is that something that a person of reasonable mechanical
aptitude can do, or is it something that requires special tools (i.e.
have the shop do it).