Will wax work as a rust inhibitor on steel lines?

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Will wax work as a rust inhibitor on steel lines?
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 10:36:01 -0800
Greetings listers.  Awhile back, there was some discussion about various ways
to prevent rust from forming on mild steel brake lines and the like.

I'm in the process of restoring an old wiper wheelbox assembly today, sanding
off the light layer of surface rust from the cable sheath and was just
wondering if good 'ol bees wax, automotive paste wax, or even furniture wax
(not the kind in an aerosol can, the stuff you need to smear on and buff off)
might be a possible way to keep moisture off the surface of the metal in order
to preserve it's appearance.  Dumb idea?  I'm just curious.

Take care,

Jeff McNeal (San Diego)

'68 Spitfire Mk3 frame off, bare metal project, aka "Mrs. Jones"
'70 GT6+ "Accidental", eventual restoration project
http://www.TotallyTriumph.net/spitfire/spitfire.shtml
Join  the TOTALLY TRIUMPH NETWORK!
Forums, Photos, How-To's, Classifieds, Links & Triumph Merchandise
http://www.TotallyTriumph.net