RE: Tachometer Question

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tachometer Question
From: <ralemen@cableone.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 14:17:14 -0700
In my search for an answer I found something (on bikes of some sort I believe)
at

http://www.xs11.com/tips/repair/repair16.shtml

Quote :
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A number of owners reported problems with "tachometer wobble" where the tach
fluctuates constantly. When I picked up my current XS Eleven I immediately
noticed the wobbling tach and set out to fix the problem. However, the tach on
my '79 SF is a sealed unit that is electronically driven (the '78 appears to be
the only mechanically driven tach). In partially disassembling the tach I
noticed that there are small holes in the bottom of the unit. Since I couldn't
get to the mechanism inside directly, I sprayed a silicone lubricant into the
tach through the bottom holes and reassembled the unit. The fluctuations
disappeared and have not returned.

The electronic tach on my '80 SG wobbles alot. After I sprayed WD-40 in there,
it stopped all together. I called a repair shop who informed me that inside
there are ball bearings 1/32nd of an inch in diameter. They do tend to get
dirty and can foul up the tach. He stated that if you spray WD-40 into an
electronic gauge, it must be squirted *exactly* onto the teeny tiny bearings
and if you miss at all you will get the WD-40 all over the electronic circuit
board and that will mess up (short circuit) everything (as it did on mine). I
was told to liberally spray circuit board cleaner (can be purchased at Radio
Shack) all over the inside of the gauge. While doing this, hold the gauge
upright, so the cleaner does not drip onto the inside of the glass. This action
will inturn dissolve all the gunk that has built up inside the gauge and clean
the circuit board. I haven't had the time to try this yet but it does seem to
make sense.

Given the known problems other Spitfire owners with mechanical drive (as
opposed to my electrical) have seen, it does make some sense that this is
indeed a lubrication problem in the guage itself. I plan on hooking up an
external electronic tachometer (I have one that does revs and dwell angle that
I got may years ago in the UK) to confirm it is purely the gauge and then pull
it and examine and probably lubricate.

I'll post the results when I get it done. Most liekly in a couple of weeks.

Alan