RE: Broken down on the M25 - diagnosis?

To: "'James Carruthers'" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Broken down on the M25 - diagnosis?
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 16:10:47 +0100
James,

I have had problems with a stuck choke before now - and I'm not the only
one.  After a while I discovered that I could check if the choke had stuck
out while driving, by trying to pull it out slightly - if the choke was
stuck out, the knob was much less stiff to pull.  I also discovered that I
could often get it to close by pulling the choke out then slamming it shut.
Sometimes that would not work, so after the engine had warmed up I would
pull to the side of the road, lift the bonnet, and just push the jet back up
into the carb by hand!!

This can be caused by the jet being slightly bent, or it can just be a
'varnish' caused by evaporated fuel making the outside surface a little
sticky - a good clean-up may help.  I had been having problems getting the
carbs tuned anyway (well, the very professional tuning shop I used had), so
I replaced my jets and needles anyway and the problem has not recurred
(yet).

Good luck!

Richard

Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the
sender
urgently and dispose of this email