progress made on SU's and a big clue

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: progress made on SU's and a big clue
From: Chris DeStaffany <destaff@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 18:05:44 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks for all the replys about me needing help on my
SU's.  The best thing about this list was knowing that
I was not out there alone.  I think that I have made
some progress.

I gues that I did no make it clear that these were
brand new SU's.  This was one of the reasons that the
whole situation was so frustrating because I spent the
big bucks to try to avoid these problems in the first
place.  Btw, I checked them out several time anyway
including the trottle shafts and to every test they
were perfect.  It appears some do not know about what
I called the "carb cleaner trick".  That is when you
believe you have a vacume leak and spray the carb
cleaner at possible sources of the leak, i.e. throttle
shafts and intake mafifolds.

Everything that I was looking at indicated a vacume
leak but I just couldn't locate any.  By a process of
elimination, I came to the conclusion that it had to
be a vacume leak with the most likely area around the
intake manifold.  Again, I went over and over it again
watching the A/R monitor very closely and this time,
euryrka, or something like that.  Under the intake
mainold  between #1 and #2 intake, a definate leak.  I
pulled off the intake manifold and went to see if
there was anything binding as I was working with new
intake and exhaust manifolds.  It looked good.  And
then I checked the old canon manifold and that's when
I found the smoking gun.  There was a little bit of an
extra exhaust maniflod glued to the old manifold in
exactly the same place that I had found the leak.
Someone else had had the same problem and needed to
shim the manifold to make it work properly.

Current theory, there is an inperfection in the head
that is not obvious to the eye.  Now I'm thinking
about making an extra thick manifold gasket by taking
two and glueing them together and installing that.
Has anyone tried this and is there anything that could
be used on the metal surfaces that I will be able to
get off again?

Thanks for the time.  I have spent two weeks on this
think and was starting to doubt my sanity or, at
least, my ability to use logic and a wrench at the
same time.

Chris DeStaffany
In Friday Harbor, waiting for new intake manifolds to
arrive and missing the nicest driving weather of the
year (sigh)
HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com