Re: gaskets and valve clearances

Subject: Re: gaskets and valve clearances
From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 15:01:31 -0700 (PDT)
> goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk writes:
>

> > I have just put the head gasket onto the engine and one of the holes
> > doesn't quite line up with a water passage.  Should I file the gasket
> > away a little or leave it is?  It is obscuring about half the hole.

The engine was a UK spec 1500 engine from a dolomite.  I have now filed
out the holes so that the gasket does not obscure the water channels.  I
would estimate that it was out by 3-4mm.  I checked the gasket (a high
quality permatex one) with an old gasket (off my other engine) and they
were identical so I can only assume that the difference was a block
machining error.

The engine is now in one piece again and only have to fit the carbs,
annoyingly I was supplied the wrong carb/manifold gaskets (and not enough
of them).  I think they were for an earlier car as the port hole in the
gasket was smaller and the bolt holes didn't line up.

Think I may also have found another problem which contributed to the
cooling system not functioning correctly - the thermostat was very rusty
and I am assuming that it was not working at all.  I guess this would
mean that water flow was inhibited/stopped around the whole engine?  A
new thermostat has now been fitted.

I started on setting the valve gaps but was quite sure how to set them
correctly.  Should they be set so that a feeler guage can pass through
without fouling at all or should it be so that there is a slight
resitance felt?

After over 10 hours in the garage and a very sore back I am now off to
bed...

cheers
John
HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs