Re: Re:RE: bumpers

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re:RE: bumpers
From: "Suzie" <suzie_bear@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 18:05:57 +0100
Gary wrote:
if you ever find out about the new bumpers not being so hot, please let us
all know, as I've suspected as much.

I discovered this when Baby Blue was being restored. I had to buy repro rear
bumpers as hers were completely shot but the front one was sound so I had
that re-chromed. It was noticeable from only about a few months afterwards
that the rear bumpers pitted very quickly and need regular applications of
Autosol polish. The front bumper with its thicker coating is much more
resistant though now also showing some signs of wear some 7-8 years on.

I recently had a long conversation with a fella who has a re-chroming
business. He does a lot of work on bike bits but also cars. He told me that
one supplier (didn't tell me who) buys repro bumpers in from the far east
and has them shipped direct to the plating works who strip off the chrome
and redo them with the higher quality plating before they even go on sale in
this country knowing that what they come in with doesn't last 5 minutes.

Suzie