Re: SU Problem

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SU Problem
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 06:45:57 -0400
Is this leak gasoline pouring out the jet, or just weeping?  Instantly
upon shutoff, or does it take a minute or two?  Is the carburetor able
to be tuned, or can you not get it right?  Does gasoline come out the
vent on top of the bowl?  The answers help steer the diagnosis and the
possible problems.

Aftermarket fuel pumps tend to have far too much pressure for SU's.  ZS
seem to be better able to handle it, though they too don't deal with it
well (a major reason for ZS problems, I suspect).  The first carburetor
to see the fuel pump suffers from overfilling the bowl more then the
second carburetor does.  A pressure regulator does wonders for helping
the SU live with a replacement fuel pump.  What is your fuel line
pressure?

Heat from the exhaust manifold below causes boiling of the gasoline in
the bowl, resulting in lots of fumes and gasoline coming out the jet,
and usually the  vent.  So how is your heat shield?

Improper bowl mount bushings or bolt can cause vibration in the bowl
which will result in overfilling of the bowl.  Does your bowl vibrate or
tremble when the engine is running?

>>> Phillip <metaz@knology.net> 05/22/02 03:42PM >>>
I just installed a pair of SU HS2 carbs to my 76 and I can't seem to
figure
out why the front carb is leaking gas.  It is not noticeable until I
shut
the car down gas leaks out of the inside of the carb from the jet.
Could
it be that the needle is not sealing.  I thought that the float might
have
a leak but when I pulled it out I couldn't see any fuel inside.  I just

replaced the exhaust with a stainless setup from Rimmer Bros. and
figured
while I was at it I would rebuild and install the SUs that have been
sitting on my shelf for a while.  Thanks for any help!