Re: How important are the brass manifold nuts?

To: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Subject: Re: How important are the brass manifold nuts?
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:10:22 -0500
In my experience, SS can gall and seize rather easily if used for
an exhaust manifold.   If you used a SS stud and net with no
compound or lubrication, they would get effectively welded together
after about an hour of running.

I have used plain plated studs and nuts, with lots of anti-seize
compound on my manifold, and never had a problem taking it apart.
Since the nuts cost about 5 cents each, feel free to replace
them every time you remove them, just to be on the safe side.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit