Re: 78 Clutch replacement

To: "Suzie" <suzie_bear@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: 78 Clutch replacement
From: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 15:44:19 -0500
I managed to get the clutch and gearbox in on the weekend.  Here is a tip
for anyone attempting to this by themself, DON'T.  For the love of your back,
hands, arms and head get someone to help you to fit the gearbox back.  It took
me over an hour trying to position the gearbox, raising and lower the engine
to wiggle the gear box in by myself.  While raising the engine the end of my
4-1 header separated from the reducer and I had to loosen up the entire exhaust
system to get the header back into the reducer.  Also, another set of hands
really comes in handy while trying to tighten up all the bolts.

This is what I've learned from this experience:

  - Make sure the car is set securly up on jack stands, this should be the case
    whenever working under the car.
  - Get someone to give you a hand.
  - Really important to support the engine properly before removing the
gearbox.
  - Use a adjustable jack with a block of wood to support the engine this will
    help with re-installing the gearbox.
  - Do not put yourself directly under the drive shaft while removing it.  It
    can fall onto that part of your body (head, face) directly under it when it
    comes off. That didn't happen me to but I can see it happening.

Thats all that I can think of for now.  I'll be test driving the car tonight.
Do anyone have an opinion if I should start the car up and go through all the
gears while the car is still on jack stands?  Or should I just test drive it
right away?

Dave                                                  |\ |     | |