Re: 78 Clutch replacement

To: "SpitList" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 78 Clutch replacement
From: "Suzie" <suzie_bear@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 22:29:43 -0000
Dave Chu wrote:
> I finally got a chance to work on my grounded spit.  The problem was the
> clutch.  The clutch plate broke, there is now a outter ring and an inner
> hub.  A picture of it is at the following link:
>
>   http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/carpics/clutch.jpg
>
> There was only around 15K miles on this clutch and it was made by B&K.
Anyone
> ever seen such a failure and kown what can cause this?

Well, when mine decided to recreate itself into a fair resemblance of yours
the cause was the thrust bearings having fallen out allowing the crank shaft
to move forwards & backwards.

The usual reason is the back plate on the engione being bent.

Can't help with info on the B&K  bit or the new clutch - that gets a bit
beyond my level of expertise & knowledge :o)

Suzie

PS, if I sound at all knowledgeable about broken clutches it's only having
seen the state of Baby Blues - and because Guy's at my shoulder coaching
me....