Timing marks on pulley incorrect?

To: "spitfires@autox.team" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timing marks on pulley incorrect?
From: "Mike Ross" <mikeross@Prodigy.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 23:36:21 -0400
I'm stumped.  I just bought a GT6 that ran great until I accidentally
and unknowingly rotated the distributor because the P.O. didn't have
it bolted tightly.  It took me three days to figure out why the car
didn't run right; the timing had been screwed up.  When I tried to
reset it I discovered that the T.D.C. marking on the pulley didn't
line up with the pointer when the #1 cylinder was at Top Dead Center.
In fact, it lined up about 2 1/2 inches in circumference before the
T.D.C. mark on the pulley.   If I tried to set the timing anywhere
near the pulley mark, the engine would not run at all.  If I rotated
the distributor so that the engine sounded smooth, it lined up at
about the same point 2 1/2 inches around the pulley circumference
before the T.D.C. mark.

This engine has been rebuilt.  He claims it was blue printed, bored 30
over, with new rings and pistons, crank polished, head milled ,
complete valve job, rocker shaft, new guides, rod bearings, main
bearings, and fast cam.

My questions are:

1) could the front pulley have been installed so that it no longer
coincides with the T.D.C. mark.

2) since I no longer can use the pulley markings, do I set the timing
just by sound and feel?

3) one other thing I noticed when using a remote starter, with the
coil unplugged, to turn the pulley.  The pulley seemed to move forward
a lot more than I remember ever seeing before.  This was during a
short crank of the engine to get the pulley to turn just a little bit.
It seemed to move forward at least 1/4 inch.  Is this normal.

One final note.  It was late and I was tired but, I used one of those
whistle tubes attached to the spark plug opening to find when the
cylinder was at T.D.C..  This time, it seemed that the pulley lined up
about 2 1/2 inches AFTER the T.D.C. mark.  Maybe I'm just burnt out
messing with this.

HELP

Mike           http://pages.prodigy.net/mikeross
'63 Spitfire
'66 Spitfire
'68 Spitfire (donor body tub for GT6 convertible)
'69 GT6+  (donor chassis for GT6 convertible)
'70 GT6+