Re: Timing marks on pulley incorrect?

To: Mike Ross <mikeross@Prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Timing marks on pulley incorrect?
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 21:45:49 -0400
Off hand, I'd suspect you've got a non-GT6 pulley in there.  Complete with the
timing marks in the proper position for the engine it came off of.  Remove all
the spark plugs so the engine easily rotates by hand, and using a wooden stick,
insert it into the cylinder and rotate the engine by hand to see where the
piston
actually comes to top dead center.

As for setting timing by ear, that is always superior then using a set of marks
on a pulley or harmonic dampener.  The ear allows proper tuning of the specific
engine to the individual parameters it operates under.  Using a vacuum gauge
would be even better.

As for your pulley moving forward and back, no that is not normal.  I suspect
your thrust bearings are not installed.  If you do not fix this, the engine will
self destruct shortly.