RE: I think I broke it!

To: "'Michael Hargreave Mawson'" <OC@46thFoot.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: I think I broke it!
From: "Mike Perry" <mikep@michindust.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 07:20:41 -0400
In article <000201c135a3$a24bc2e0$260a05c0@mikep>, Mike Perry
<mikep@michindust.com> writes

>My suspicions:  Perhaps a bad head gasket, leading to increased coolant
>temp/pressure.  Today (24 hours after the incident) I noticed "sludge"
under
>the radiator cap

A sort of greyish/whitish emulsion a bit like dirty aerosol cream?   If
so, that's definitely a symptom of a blown head-gasket.   Are you
getting any white "smoke" from the exhaust yet?

That all follows.  Only in the radiator, the sump oil looks great still
(just changed it three days ago, and the old oil was fine, too.)  No smoke
yet, but I really haven't driven it since this occurred.

>, along with a small "droplet" of what could be oil in the
>radiator (under the cap).  Could confirm the above theory.
>
>Wadday think?  Have I created a winter project for myself?

I think so, although it is not that big a project.   (But don't forget
to run the new head in, and don't forget to re-torque the cylinder head
studs after 1000 miles or so.)

The "winter project" part refers to the fact that everything sounded a bit
clackety after cooling down.  The head gasket might be one project among
many!

Thanks for the reply...