The plot thickens -- Was: Killed my Mk3's electrical system

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: The plot thickens -- Was: Killed my Mk3's electrical system
From: Ar164super@wmconnect.com
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 20:49:08 EDT
Hello again,

Well, as these cars are wont to do, everything magically started working
again on my '70 Mk3. I believe that the problem did not, in fact, stem from
the ammeter installation; rather, the ground cable from the battery to the
transmission bellhousing was separating. After tightening that up for the
drive down to the parts store for a new one, the car again started and ran
great. And then...

...on the way to the store, smoke started billowing out from behind the dash.
I immediately stopped, popped the hood, and saw that the LT (+) lead to the
coil was smoking away like nobody's business. I pulled the negative battery
cable to stop the current flow and extinguished the smoldering wire with a
dry powder fire extinguisher. Upon further inspection, I found that the
entire wire, from the ignition coil to the ignition switch got completely
burnt through. It looks like I'll have a bit of a project for the next couple
of days, then! I am hoping that not many other wires got burned in this
debacle. As it stands, everything electrical still works with the exception
of the coil. However, to be safe, I'll be inspecting all the neighboring
wiring to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Anyone out there had anything similar happen? And advice on the rewiring?
What extent did you have to rewire, and how's access to the wiring loom
behing the dash? It looks like removing the dash is the best approach to
success. Anyway, one of these days everything will work on this car. For now,
it's time to clean up that mess left by the fire extinguisher...

Adam
'70 Spitfire Mk3 (currently resting)
'94 Alfa Romeo 164LS