Re: Fuel economy in a Spit.

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel economy in a Spit.
From: "Tom O'Malley" <tomomalley@meganet.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 19:38:29 -0400
On Sun, 02 Sep 2001 16:33:26 -0400, you wrote:
Trevor writes:

Snip!

>  At a true 50mpg it would make it sound like the Spit is
>among the most economical cars on the road, when the true
>figure puts it way way way down there. ;>

It's interesting to compare the fuel economy of the two versions.
Most Federal 1500s came through with low compression and were de-
tuned for emissions.

While not much of a factor at a steady 50 mph, the additional weight
of the Federal model must be considerable, particularly in later cars.
While my '74 does have the rear frame extensions it's the internal
bracing at the boot floor that amazes me.   These angle irons must be
1/4" thick.  I'm not aware of any domestic car that used such heavy
gauge in any location.  Mind you, after I was rear-ended in the
company parking lot I was thankful to have them.  But they're sure a
nuisance in the already tiny boot.

Lemme think of some more Federal things, some heavy, some not...

Large over-riders with beefy supports.
Rear bumper "cap" on later cars
Door reinforcements with standard hinges <sag>
Air pump on later cars
Larger radiator
Side marker lamps
Bonnet reinforcements
Evaporative canistor(s)
Anti-run on valve, TVS switch, EGR valve, Service interval counter <my
personal fav!>
Various bits of plumbing for the emissions stuff...various bit of
electrical kit for the Federal bells and whistles.

There's probably more but memory fails me just now.  So does anyone
know the weight difference between, say, a '78 Federal Spit and a UK
model?

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley