Re: boot lid trim removal

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <hutton@evansville.net>
Subject: Re: boot lid trim removal
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 11:29:54 -0500
A crowbar is way to coarse a tool for this job.

The trim is all held on with steel clips that are barbed.  It's a friction fit
against the body panel seams.  The trim pieces do simply pry off.  But you want
to work them off across their length to ensure you don't bend or kink them.
It's easily done, and makes you wonder why they don't fall off.  Flat tip screw
drivers and butter knives are dandy tools for this job.

The clips are reusable, but they tend to get damaged in the removal, as well as
damaged from rust, so they don't hold as well the second time you mount the
trim.  Picking up some new ones to replace the shot ones will help keep the
trim on after the repaint.

You'll see the damage done to the paint by those clips, so you don't want to be
removing and reinstalling it often over your fresh paint.  Promotes rust.

>>> "Gary Hutton" <hutton@evansville.net> 02/09 10:16 AM >>>

I need to remove the black (on my 76) piece of trim on my trunk lid
prior to having the lid dipped.  The guy at the body shop approached it
with a crowbar and I rapidly retreated to ask you folks if that was
going to damage anything.  How are those things attached and what's the
best way to get them off such that they are not ruined and can be
re-attached.

Thanks in advance.

Gary Hutton
Newburgh, IN