Re: (no comment this time round) + jacking up

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: (no comment this time round) + jacking up
From: Cwn74@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 11:31:26 EST
In a message dated 2/8/2001 2:06:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
spitlist@gte.net writes:

> If space is tight,
> >  jack up onto something you can reach until the car is lifted a bit,
> stick some
> >  wooden blocks under the chassis near where you jacked it, lower the jack
> so
> >  the car is on the block, and now you can move the jack round to where
> you can
> >  jack directly onto the centre of the front cross-member.  Needless to
> say you
> >  will need to reverse this procedure to get the car down, otherwise you
> will
> >  end up with the car not quite on the ground and the jack trapped
> underneath!

I have a set of 4 pieces of 2"x12" about 2 feet long.  I put 1 in front of
each of the 4 wheels and drive the Spitfire up on the boards (I've sawed a 45
degree angle on the "mounting" edge).  The jack gets to the front cross
member and rear quite easily.  The transverse muffler in the back provides me
with the least jack clearance and this method works fine.

I've also been known to jack by the anti-sway bar in the front to get a
couple inches clearance to shove the boards under the front wheels during an
oil change. Doesn't seem to mind.

"If it's not fun, why do it?" Ben & Jerry
Clark W. Nicholls
CWNicholls@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/CWNicholls
fax: 419-844-7564 (yes, 419)