Re: Spitfire heater valve quality, and manifold heat

To: krhodes1 <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>, spitfires
Subject: Re: Spitfire heater valve quality, and manifold heat
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 01 Feb 2001 08:54:54 -0600
Kevin,

The original design had coolant running (from the top of the thermostat
 housing) through a conduit in the inlet manifold.  The idea was to heat the
 incoming air, to reduce the need for the choke.  This never really made much
 sense to me, as you only need the choke when the engine is cold, when the
 manifold heater won't do any heating; once the manifold has heated up from
 this coolant conduit, the engine is hot and you don't need the choke anyway.
 Moreover, hot air is less dense, so if you suck a given amount of hot air into
 your engine you are sucking in fewer molecules, so you have less power - this
 is why turbo- and super-charged engines use intercoolers, to cool the air
 before it enters the engine.  The whole thing seems daft to me, but I have
 never got around to seeing what happens if I bypass the manifold coolant pipe.

It sounds like your PO has tried what I wanted to try (or maybe just broke the
 pipe connectors by accident and decided it was easier to bypass than fit a new
 manifold).  If your engine runs OK, I would leave well alone - unless you are
 concerned with originality, or making it look nice and tidy.

Richard & Daffy