Re: More parts supplier questions

To: wrgingerich <wrgingerich@qwest.net>,
Subject: Re: More parts supplier questions
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 31 Jan 2001 04:35:40 -0600
Bill,

If a panel is BMH supplied, it is the same panel whoever you buy it from (and
 is more or less the same price whoever you buy it from in my experience).  The
 MG BGT wings I bought a couple of years ago had a hologram sticker on the
 inside to prove their authenticity - a bugger to get off, but I guess that is
 the idea, to stop them being peeled off and stuck to something else.  Ask your
 supplier who makes the panels they plan to supply you with - many suppliers do
 both BMH and pattern parts.

I have been told (no personal experience) that the copy panels tend to be a
 good fit for simple panels (e.g. sills that only curve in one plane), and the
 metal quality is comparable with BMH stuff.  For the more complex panels (e.g.
 wings) they can require a bit of "pursuading" to fit, and the curves do not
 match exactly the originals.  However, they can be about 1/3 cheaper.  I must
 say that the MG BGT wings mentioned earlier from BMH (which are bolt-on, no
 welding) fitted perfectly.  Steelcraft are a well-known supplier of pattern
 panels in the UK, and I have used their sills - I got those welded on for me
 (I can't weld), but the welder did not mention any problems.

As with all these things, you pay your money and take your choice.  Want panels
 that are a perfect match - go BMH.  Want to save some money, and don't mind
 doing a little fettling on the more complex panels - go pattern.

Richard & Daffy