Re: Hello list!

To: dean_rayner <dean_rayner@mac.com>, spitfires
Subject: Re: Hello list!
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 30 Jan 2001 05:23:22 -0600
Dean,

I had the same thought, on heater control lighting, about my Spit.  If you
 remove the perspex there is a hole where it looks like a bulb holder could
 push into - but no sign of a bulb holder, or wiring for one.  So, I asked
 TRGB, and was told that they had only ever seen one Spit with the light on it.
Could be that this was a requirement for some foreign market but they were too
 stingy to include it on UK cars.  Could be that they had originally planned
 the light but then changed their mind.  Could be that they had problems
 getting supplies of the bulb holder.  Could be that they had problems with the
 bulb overheating in the confined space.  Who knows?  In any case, at least for
 UK cars, the controls do not light up as standard.

The Rimmers catalogue lists the bulb holder for the heater controls, so I
 thought that the next time I ordered anything I would ask if they had got it,
 and if so I would wire it in, taking a supply off the fuel or temperature
 gauge light.  However, I haven't called them recently for anything else, and
 it wasn't a big enough deal to be worth making the call specially (and paying
 postage for one part I don't urgently need).  If you decide to call, let me
 know how you get on.  Part no. is 13H8690, costs 1.00.

No idea why your Hot and Cold are the wrong way round.  On my Spit, Defrost/Hot
 is left, Cold is right, and all is correctly labelled (except that 'Hot'
 should read 'Luke-warm'!).  Maybe the wire to your heater control valve is
 incorrectly set up, or someone has replaced the valve with a different model
 that operates the other way round.

Congratulations on your shiny new car - enjoy!

Richard and Daffy (Inca yellow '78 Spit 1500)