Re: Re: Magic Cure In A Bottle

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>,
Subject: Re: Re: Magic Cure In A Bottle
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 13:18:39 -0700
> I simply wouldn't feel comfortable using my Spitfire as my only source of
> transportation because that would mean I'd have to drive it a lot on the
> freeways -- and in Southern California (Laura G's pending disagreement
> notwithstanding) that WOULDN'T be my preference, considering the traffic and
> much LARGER vehicles out there.

I know people who drive larger and larger vehicles because they think that's
defensive driving-and some of these people have had more than one accident in
the time that I, in my itty bitty spitty have not had ANY accidents. I am a
confident-but cautious driver. And some of these people think that because
they're bigger than anyone else  on the road, they needn't be cautious and have
an abundance of somewhat false confidence due to their size. I stay away from
these people. I give space, and have my "zone". The one time I got hit, here in
southern Cal was when a scam artist let her car roll back into mine at a stop
light on a bridge. And that could have happened no matter what size car I was
driving. Fortunately, being the Spitfire, the repair cost about 3k less than if
I'd been driving something newer.

I think that even though there are so many SUVs and trucks on the roads, people
are getting a bit more used to seeing smaller cars on the road-there are swarms
of BMW Z3s around here, hordes of Miatas and more and more of the newer 2
seaters-Hondas and Toyotas.

If I were going to be scared of these larger vehicles in my Spitfire, I's
probably be scared of them in larger (and less sturdily built) newer cars (like
my ex-Sentra! Than thing collapses like a house of cards if you tap it!)-and if
a driver is nervous and scared of traffic and the other vehicles on the
road-they're an accident waiting to happen.

Confidently, cautiously and defensively from the freeways of Southern
California,

Laura G.

> Still, I find myself tooling around locally in Mrs. Jones a lot more often
> than I originally envisioned.
>
> Interesting thread you've started here.  It'll be interesting to see where
> it goes from here.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jeff in San Diego
>
> '67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
> '68 LHD Spitfire Mk3 frame-off resto project
> Jeff's Classic '67 Spitfire Mk3 site & Vintage Spitfire Webring
> http://www.ohms.com/spitfire/spitfire.shtml
> home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
> "By Triumph enthusiasts, for Triumph enthusiasts"
> http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/TRauction.cgi
> and..The Totally Triumph Garage forums  -- moderated, focused, friendly!
> http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi
> ...plus a few other surprises!

Vita brevis est: rapide agite, vigore strigate!