Re: handbrake fixings

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: handbrake fixings
From: john@triumphspitfire.com
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 13:07:12 -0400
Joe,
Do you have commission numbers on the cars? Why were they built in Belgium?
Were they 73-74 cars? The "reasearch" I have done is pretty confusing
around the 73-74's, labeled Mk4's with 1500 engines (at commission number
FH50000). I have conflicting info. Some books call the car a 1500 if it had
1500 engine even if it has a Mk4 body and badges. Others call them Mk4's
regardless of the engine based on the badges. Could some of the confusion
be related to this batch of Belgium cars?

>John,
>That pretty much confirms my observation that the early 1500's assembled
>in Belgium for US import were built to the same standards as
>the MkIV units being assembled at the time for Europe.  It is important to
>note that at the time the US was the only place getting the
>1500 powered Spits.  So apparently those consoles were not installed at
>the time of assembly.  I don't know if any consoles were ever
>installed there on those particular cars, since I have not seen any that
>would confirm the fact.
>
>Joe
>
>john@triumphspitfire.com wrote:
>>
>> Bill, Joe and List,
>> The source I have says US cars had the center console. Non-US the center
>> console as a special order in the "Luxury Package": stainless steel
>> driver's door mirror, inertia-reel seat belts, head rests, map light,
>> center arm rest, dipping rear view mirror. After FH 80000 it became
>> standard. My info says center console was standard in US from Nov. 74 as
>> previously stated.
>> Lots of the stuff I have read that recently implyed that US parts often
>> found their way on non-US cars especially on later 1500's in attempt to use
>> up extra stock. Exp: extra bonnet brackets were added to US cars to comply
>> with US crash regulations in 77 (prevented bonnet from hitting windshield
>> in the event of frontal crash) but some UK cars showed up with them. My
>> point being that non-US parts probally ended up on US cars also. Maybe they
>> had extra stock of carpets with rubber boot and used them on a car where it
>> wouldn't show (under the counsole). Just a guess.
>>
>> John Goethert
>> Knoxville, Tennessee
>> john@triumphspitfire.com
>> 76 Spitfire, 71 GT6, 75 Spit parts car, 90 Miata

Triumph Spitfire Information Site
http://www.triumphspitfire.com