Re: Fuel Tank Venting - BASIC

To: bschwart@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: Fuel Tank Venting - BASIC
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.uofs.edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 17:35:32 -0500 (EST)
According to Barry Schwartz:

> >When opening my fuel filler-cap, I get a major SWOOSH of air going in.  Am I
> >correct in assuming that this swoosh is NOT desirable (and indicative of
> >some blockage in the canisters/lines/restrictors/vapor separator)?
> Yes on both accounts.  Something is blocking the "vent" and if not
> corrected, you stand a very good chance of permanently collapsing the tank -

I don't know, I've run mine all the way down to empty without it ever
even flexing the sides of the tank inward and mine goes SWOOSH everytime
I open it at the pumps.  I think a small vacuum is normal and part of
the pollution system (fuel evaporative loss).  I will have to look and
see if there is anything in my manuals.  Maybe not as my shop manual is
actually for models other than "federal".

bill

bill@cs.uofs.edu         |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |