Re: Fuel Tank Venting - BASIC

To: reegurley@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Fuel Tank Venting - BASIC
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.uofs.edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 13:41:14 -0500 (EST)
According to Ree Gurley:

> When opening my fuel filler-cap, I get a major SWOOSH of air going in.  Am I
> correct in assuming that this swoosh is NOT desirable (and indicative of
> some blockage in the canisters/lines/restrictors/vapor separator)?

Mine does too.  But I think it is more because Federal Smog specs require
it rather than any blockage.  I haven't realy looked at that part of my
79 Spit (if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!) but I do remember back in 72
I bought a new MG and there was a "fuel evaporative loss" collection
system that basicly sucked the fumes out of the gas tank (resulting in the
SWOOSH you heard) and injected them into the system in an attempt to burn
them.

Can anyone else confirm/deny this??

bill

bill@cs.uofs.edu         |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.