Re: Restoration progress

To: spitlist <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Restoration progress
From: KTnKT <ktnkt@cape.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 18:12:27 -0500
John, where did you buy your trunnion kits ?? I replaced both rear sets
a month ago and it was by far the most difficult job I've had on this
car yet. The bolt on the right one had become one with the inside sleeve
and had to be dug out with a torch. What fun !!  I got new ones from
V.B. and it was next to impossible to slide the assembly into place. I
had to shave the nylon down somewhat to even get them close to going in
(both sides). I also got a brake master cylinder rebuild kit from them
and the rubber plunger seal broke trying to get it on, even after
wetting it with brake fluif (had to do it). It appeared to be
brittle...so when I found the trunnion bolt washers were the wrong size
I was already used to the "cheap aftermarket parts" syndrome. Reading
Jeff's thread about the lug nut ordeal got me thinking about what kind
of parts are being distributed by these folks who claim to have parts
manufactured to "factory specs" .?? I really didn't mean to go on a
tyrade there, but was wondering if the trunnion kits are any better from
other companies. On a good note, I ordered 5 new Pirelli 175/70 R13
tires from Tirerack .com last Saturday night and recieved them on
Wednesday. Only $45 each including shipping to Cape Cod, Ma.    Someday
the car will be off the stands and I'll get to wear off the little nubs
on the tread.................aahhh, dreams.......
Kevin D. Thompson
1970 mk3 Spitfire...inch by inch, step by step...............