Re: Delco Alternator

To: spitfire@shelby.net (Mark Campbell)
Subject: Re: Delco Alternator
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.uofs.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 07:59:35 -0500 (EST)
According to Mark Campbell:
> Isn't there someone on the list that works for/has inside sources at NAPA?
> Do you have a part number we could ask for at our local NAPA for a Delco alt
> that would fit a spit?  I just don't like the idea of walking into a store
> and asking for an alt that I could put on a Triumph Spitfire.  "A whut?
> Whut is that, some kinda motorcycle?"
>
> > specificly for the Spitfire, but they also have plenty of them.
> > You won't find it on the shelf at the dealer, but any Delco distributor
> > can order it for you.  The delco part number for my '79 is: 321-1559
> > I would imagine it is the same for other alternator equiped Spits and
> > 1500's in particular.

I'm confused??  That's the delco part number in my message.  Can't NAPA
order from Delco with that number??  How about going to your local Delco
distributor??  I am sure Delco's website will help you find it.

Just to clarify things, here's the message I got from Delco:

     Thank you for contacting ACDelco.  We offer the following alternator
     for your 1979 Triumph Spitfire:
     Part number:  321-1559

     This Alternator is for the 1.5 liter Spitfire.  It is a 36 amp
     alternator and there is still plenty of stock on it.  Please
     contact one of the following Warehouse Distributors to purchase:

     Rymer Auto Radiator, Wilkes-Barre 717-823-3284
     Elwood Kieser & Sons, Philadelphia 215-744-6666

     If we can be of assistance in the future, please visit us again at
     www.acdelco.com or call us at 1-800-ACDelco.  We appreciate your
     e-mail, and look forward to continue serving you in the future.

I can' personally say how close a match the mounting is or how well it
works as I found a Lucas replacement in a local junkyard for $10 bucks
and ended out not buying the Delco.  But with their reputation, I would
guess it would work just fine.  And at 36 amp probably better than a
Lucas.

bill

bill@cs.uofs.edu         |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |