Re: Carbon Canister

To: Ken C <kenwc@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Carbon Canister
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 17:46:44 -0700
Ken,
In my case when I developed a leak in my Mk1 Tank, I installed one from
a '74 1500.  I had to do a few changes including dealing with the vent
tube.  I had no carbon canister so I routed a line to the right and into
a hole I drilled in the right hand fender well.  I sealed around it with
Mastic so there would be no fumes come back into the trunk area.  It has
worked well for a couple of years now.

Your idea appears sound to me although the raw fuel vapors would
ordinarily be routed to the carb to be burned.  I would at least attach
a hose that is routed to a point low on the car to keep vapors away from
hot exhaust.  You never know!!!!

Regards,
Joe

Ken C wrote:

> Thanks, Joe, that sounds reasonable. Think what might happen is just run all
> the lines as normal and just eliminate the line from the canister to the
> now, non-existent Stromberg carb port. The tank would then be vented via the
> canister, and all parts would still be available if required in the future.
> Would that work ?
>
> Ken C
>
> > You can eliminate the carbon canister, but you will have to run the
> > vent line to somewhere that it won't vent fumes inside the car.  And by
> > all means do not plug it up.  The car will soon stall when a vacuum
> > develops inside the fuel tank.
> >
> > The vented cap would be in order of you capped the vent.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Joe Curry

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer