RE: Triumph Spitfire Conversions

To: "'tr6'" <tr6@mail.icongrp.com>,
Subject: RE: Triumph Spitfire Conversions
From: Dean Dashwood <DDashwood@softwright.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 15:22:35 +0100
Please don't get me wrong here - Don, Paul, you are free to do whatever
you want to your cars so long as it's gonna make you happy, and I
certainly wouldn't want to tell you what is and is not ok.  But I can't
figure out why anyone would want a 5-speed conversion, when there's a
perfectly good overdrive unit available.

Apart from the fact that it's going to fit a lot better, since the car
was designed around it, it's an arrangement which has been used on this
car in various forms since the earliest models came off the production
line, and these years have shown that on the whole it's a good setup
which is capable of lasting.  And IMHO it's more fun to drive than a
5-speed - you can switch it in and out without lifing off the gas,
without having to use the clutch, just by moving your finger, but
without feeling like you're driving a car with an automatic gearbox.
Unless you're going to be racing, I can't see that the weight difference
is going to be significant......

Ok, that's enough stirring for now - next I'm going to sit back and
watch the argument unfold!

Dean