Re: starter problem

To: Chris Pappathopoulos <ctpappathopo@students.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: starter problem
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@q1.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 23:09:33 -0400
Chris Pappathopoulos wrote:

> I now have the engine back together and tried to start it today. The
> starter would not turn the engine over. I have shaved .100 off the head
> and went to 9:1 pitstons. I tried jumping the car, and starting without
> spark and it wouldn't turn the engine over. It will turn the engine over
> with the sparkplugs pulled. Is my starter weak or do I need a new one?
>
> Thanks
> Chris Pappathopoulos
chris, we make a high toprque gear reduction starter, but i am not sure
that is your problem.  if your starter is good and you have a good
connection, the engine should turn over quickly. you haven't done enough
to the engine to strain the starter as much as you indicate.  the other
thing to check is to make sure you have the engine grounded.  there
should be a ground cable from a bellhousing bolt to the main battery
ground this is a fairly common problem that people miss. ted
--
Ted Schumacher
TS Imported Automotive