Re: Found One!!

To: MIKEROSS@prodigy.net
Subject: Re: Found One!!
From: Walt Fogle <foglew@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 09:28:08 PDT

Hello:

I'm new to the newsgroup and I wanted to kick in my two cents worth.  Cost
is so subjective unless the car your purchasing has ultra low miles and has
only been driven by a little old lady on Sundays.

My car, a 73, has been through 4 owners but has had reasonable care and
doesn't show any body rust.  It came with virtually all the service records
so the PO's were pretty thoughtful in their care of the car.  There is some
corrosion on the frame here and there but everything is solid and in working
order.  At $1600 I though it was a pretty good deal.

As you would expect, the seats, carpeting, and some other cosemstic items
needed attention.  (I now have more invested in the seats than any other
upgrade!)  The top was almost new.  I have put a fair amount of time in
mechanical upgrades so the car runs, drive, and looks pretty good.

While I would like to perform a complete frame-off restoration I just can't
rationalize the cost and the down-time.  I think I would prefer to buy a
non-running earlier model car for a complete resto project.  I admire you
out there who have taken on such projects.  Your results are impressive.

I guess that my point is; it's a hobby (abeit and expensive one, but so is
golf or boating).  Spend what you can afford without taking food from you
families mouths!  Have fun, and don't feel guilty.

Best regards,

Walt Fogle