ignition parts

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: ignition parts
From: BJ Martin <bj_martin@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 05:19:54 PDT

I have had a couple of ignition pieces in my parts pile that I may want to
put into use. First the problem - my '77 1500 is running really well
overall; however, on a recent 300 mile trip the car stranded me on the
roadside twice (going and coming). The first time, it lost power and died
shortly after leaving a toll booth where I had to idle in oppressive heat.
While the temp guage didn't heat up much, I guessed that the engine bay in
general did and the problem was vapor lock. After a short convenient stay at
Burger King and some foil coverings for the fuel line. The car fired up and
we went on to our destination. On the home trip, while at speed (70-75) the
car lost power a couple of times (did not die but would not hold speed and
would not accelerate) for a few moments. It then "recovered" and would run
strong. Again shortly after leaving the toll booth, again in oppressive
heat, it lost power and died. This time no Burger King, no ice cream and no
timely restart. Finally after 2 hours in blazing heat on the edge of I80
(the Indiana Highway Patrol were really very nice), the car fired up and
cruised home without incident. Other than these 2 strandings, I have rarely
noted momentary "drops" in power. To me it feels as though the engine did
fire but didn't derive any power from it (ie the "cycle" seems unchanged but
the car loses "drive" for a moment). I again have experienced this under the
hottest conditions.

So I am less convinced that I have a vapor lock problem. Based on previous
posts I've seen, I am suspecious that this problem may be due to the 22 year
old Lucas Electronic Ignition and am willing to replace it to save me future
hassles.

Back to the parts pile - I have a Crane XR700 ignition module (also has
C.A.R.B. D-47 2&3 on it) but I do not have any parts after the 3-prong plug
(ie the distributor end). Is this the proper model for my car? and Any ideas
on where to get the "missing" parts? Also, the module is wired to a Lucas
coil. This coil has no label nor markings on it but is painted gold. Is this
a Lucas "Sport" coil?

Thanks for your ideas,
brent