Re: ignition parts

To: BJ Martin <bj_martin@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: ignition parts
From: Rick Gregory <rick_gregory@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 06:44:41 -0700 (PDT)
BJ:

My car acted EXACTLY like yours. ('77 with Lucas
points) .. I converted to an electronic ignition and
bought all new ignition parts including rotor, cap,
wires, plugs, coil, etc. And the new ignition system
was a definate improvement in power and performance.
My timing and idle were much improved. But to my
astonishment, the car still occassionally died,
especially at high rpms and in the heat...

Finally, one day, I pulled the fuel line off the carb
inlet. I hooked a fuel pressure gauge up (actually T'd
it in so I could read pressure while running/driving
the car). My readings were erratic from .5 lbs under
heavy load to 3.0 pounds at idle. My car was starving
for fuel and would die out under acceleration when the
carb. bowl would empty.

Back at the garage, I actually pulled the fuel line
off the carb and turned the key on. I just installed a
new electric fuel pump several weeks prior. I couldn't
believe it but barely a trickle of gas would seep from
the line. It should have been pouring out. I had a new
fuel pump and also A NEW micron in-line filter
installed.

I concluded there was some sort of line obstruction,
probably in the old metal line which runs along the
frame. I bypassed it, running new hose direct from the
pump to the carb and my car has run great ever since.

You should make sure you entire fuel system is clean,
including the tank...

Good luck, I hope you find the problem.

--Rick