Shifting difficulty found - Fathers Day diappointment

To: tedtsimx@q1.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Shifting difficulty found - Fathers Day diappointment
From: PVanDuyne@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 07:44:11 EDT
In a message dated 6/16/99 11:09:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tedtsimx@q1.net
writes:

<< It's not easy to see from under the dash.  you cannot see the snap ring
but if
 there is a lot of meovement of either 2nd or 3rd gear on the mainshaft, you
may
 have found your problem.  ted

Ted appears to be correct 3rd gear shows a lot of movement.  I need to
rebuild the gear box so I will miss the Portland show that my son & I were
looking forward to driving the Spit to.  We can go in my Toyota but it's just
not the same.

I am fairly handy and am sure that given the time (more time, Saturdays only,
than I have before July 28th) I could rebuild the gearbox myself.  My garage
facilities are minimal power only via extension cords.  I can lift the car
only 18" off the ground, no hoists etc., etc.

I have contacted a friend of mine who operates a transmission repair business
and will get a quote but I fear the cost will be to high as I will be sending
two sons to college next year.

Any other ideas for an economical repair.  Anyone have a rebuilt gearbox (I
don't have O/D, although hmmmmm) that they want to part with? I will replace
the clutch and plate, any other things I should do while the transmission is
out?

Pete VanDuyne
1980 Spit
Central Mass.