Re: Shifting difficulty found - Fathers Day diappointment

To: <PVanDuyne@aol.com>, <tedtsimx@q1.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shifting difficulty found - Fathers Day diappointment
From: "James Carpenter" <james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 00:26:19 +0100
I'm just finishing a gearbox rebuild and overdrive conversion.  Doing the
labor myself to save the 1day bench time charge of the local mechanic 200
pounds.  I started with two broken gearboxes, an overdrive one which had
double main bearing failer, chewed syncro, brass bits everywhere.   My 4
speed which I managed to kill a layshaft thrust washer doing an acidental
dounought, which chewed up the thrust bearings, partly melted the layshaft,
and chipped 5 teath from 3rd on that layshaft!

I needed to replace the main shaft, with an overdrive one (bearing failer
ment the OD one was damaged) 45 pound, extreamly good deal from Gloucester
Rd Gearboxes, UK though!
Two new bearings, input and output made in UK.  24 pound  Local gargage
New roler bearings 17 pound    Local Garage
New layshaft, slight pit in one, the other had a 10% reduction in metal.
20ish quid Moss
Gasket set
Nuts and bolts.
Speedomiter cable, for overdrive conversion.
Overdrive engin mount, already have plate.
Oil for gearbox.
Thread selant, and gasket blue, silicon sealent.

I have made myself a dummy layshaft out of my old one if anyone neer me
needs to borrow one!

I actualy have a good non OD main shaft assembly, but I am going to see how
the overdrive performes, I may have to rebuild it to its non overdrive form,
and put in a block I have designed to lengthen the propshaft again.

My Overdrive had water in it, and was partly seased when I started work on
it, so I am not too hopefull on how it will turn out, but you can hope:-)
The main time consumer has been cleaning it thourghly, oh and moving out of
student accomidation and keeping the old box running so I didn't know what
better parts etc.  It's been 3 weeks since I first considered doing this,
I've moved house, and other stuff in that time, 4 days without the car.  4
day of hell driving a FWD car:-( but it does have air con:-)

Basicly 1 day to strip your box, 2 weeks for the parts to arrive, and 1 day
doing a perfect job of putting it back together.   Thats for a non OD box!

James