Re: chassisnumber and unlead engine

To: Pieter Cramwinckel <pjcdjc@club-internet.fr>
Subject: Re: chassisnumber and unlead engine
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:35:24 -0600

Pieter Cramwinckel wrote:

> 2 questions:
> 1. is there a chassisnumber marked on the chassis somewhere for the spitfire
> 1500?

Yes!  On the left hand side of the forward chassis (I forget exactly
where) there is a number (starting with FC) that identifies the serial
number of the chassis (frame).  It is a continuation of the original
series that started on the Mk1 Spitfires and is the only number on the
whole car that was.

> 2. Can the 1500 engine be converted to leadfree? What are the approx costs?
> Which companies perform this ?

Any machine shop can install hardened valve seats and valves to
accommodate unleaded fuel.  If your car is running properly and doesn't
require upper engine work, I'd recommend running the unleaded until
there is some sign of a problem and then do the modification.  You would
be surprised how long it takes for a problem (valve recession) to occur.

Regards,
Joe Curry

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer